Friday, September 4, 2009

To Live or Die By the Sword

Here is my reply to Steve and Jamie analysis of my likely death if I fight a bear with a sword instead of a firearm....

Believe me, I've thought hard about the firearm option. The important

thing is that it has to be practical. My weapon of choice can't
hinder my active forest activities. Considering a rifle of whatever
sort, I'd have to strap it across my back. In order for it not to
slip slide around when it's on my back (while chainsawing, or carrying
brush), I'd have to cinch it tight. This would both restrict my
movement and prevent a quick draw in case of sudden attack - which is
possible in this dense bush. Also, because of the dense bush, a rifle
barrel is difficult to quickly and accurately aim with all the
vegetation serving as obstacles.

So, then, why not a handgun (or 'kit' gun) in a holster? That would
solve some of the rifle problems. Though, getting a pistol license
takes quite a bit of time - meanwhile I'm still empty-handed in the
woods. Also, a firearm has offensive capacity. Bears are known to
make false charges, testing humans to assess threat. I'd be tempted
with a firearm to shoot first and ask the bear questions later without
actually being at any physical risk.

Therefore, the short sword which I carry strapped up the middle of my
back. It couldn't be any longer. At 19", that's the extent of my
arm's reach to draw it from the scabbard. Also, any longer, and it
would reach past my waist and the belt couldn't secure it's base for
drawing and I couldn't sit down with it on.

My strategy is to impale a charging bear. I would step right foot
forward into a deep stance and extend the sword with two hands to
impale the bear at the base of the neck. My left palm butted into the
base of the hilt so the sword isn't pushed back and out of my hands.
In this way, it is only a defensive weapon, one of last resort.

Right now I say that I'm willing to die in the attempt to defend
myself with a sword. Ask me again as the sword is failing me during
the unlikely event of a bear attack and I may have a different answer.

With a sword, I am giving the bear a sporting chance. And, let's be
honest, carrying a sword around the woods as a justified means of
self-defense is pretty cool. The idea of fighting a bear with a sword
is ice cream cold.

4 comments:

  1. Sawn off shotguns can work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I did think about that. With the Mad Max leg holster.

    Trouble is they're illegal in Canada.

    Heres's a wiki quote...

    "Short-barreled, manually-operated shotguns (non-semi-automatics) are non-restricted as long as the barrel remains unmodified from the original factory length. There is no legal minimum for shotgun barrels as long as the overall length exceeds 26" and so shotguns with barrels as short as 6.5 inches are available in Canada. If a shotgun with an 18-inch or greater barrel is reduced to below 18 inches by sawing, cutting, or replacing the barrel (by anyone other than a recognized gun manufacturer), that shotgun becomes prohibited."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since it's your life in potential danger, why not ask a gunsmith to make you a short barrelled one?

    Then when you go to court, the judge has no choice but to throw the case out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, the overall length requirement of at least 26 inches is just too long for my requirements.

    But there's two main reasons why I prefer sword over firearm.

    1) Sword is way cooler and I'm trained to kill with sword.

    2) I don't trust myself with long-range deadly weapons because I'd be too tempted to shoot first and ask questions later like, "Don't you know you're trespassing?". I also have to hold myself back from driving into oncoming traffic, okay?

    ReplyDelete