Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Wet, Wet, Wet

It's been raining at Deerwood since I don't know when.

One of the good things about the rain is pools of water forming on the trails indicate where I'll have to eventually bridge or divert water in order to maintain traversable trails.

So, today I plan to walk the entire Deerwood trail system and stake 2x2 posts at the water boundaries. This way, I'll know how long the bridging needs to be.

Ideally, I'd like to drop nearby trees for this purpose. The best time of year to do this is in winter when the soggy areas are frozen. Though, the trees need to have the bark removed so they don't decay as quickly. My bark spud tree-debarker only works if the tree was cut down in spring or summer, though. That's when the tree's sap flows and allows the bark to be peeled off. If cut in the fall or winter, a drawknife if needed to take the bark off. Using the drawknife is much more difficult than using a bark spud.

drawknife (source: caribooblades.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment