Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Dam Beavers...

You may not know, but I've waged an ongoing battle with a pack (?) of beavers on the western edge of Deerwood. They keep building up a dam with the purpose of flooding a large portion of woodland, killing the vegetation and transforming the whole area.

Well, the beaver play their games and I play mine. I think I have every right to maintain the woodlot without the gallivanting beavers making a mess of it to suit their selfish ends.

Anyway, after busting up a new beaver dam a month ago which leads to the beaver pond, I returned today to find this....

The beaver have repaired their me-destroyed dam for the third time!
Notice the flooded area (bottom) and beaver pond (top).

So, with broken silver birch limb in hand, I scooped a hole in their dam repair job and the water flows again. Yea!

A-ha! Billy Bobo 4, Beaver 3.

Now that the Spring snow melt is over, the beaver will have to wait a long time for another chance to flood Deerwood. And I'll be waiting....

No comments:

Post a Comment