Thursday, May 14, 2009

Hold the Cherry Bomb!

Had a few hours to spare today and was cruising Deerwood, pruning the black knot fungus from cherry trees. It was a windy day and I was thinking of the ways this fungus spreads in springtime.
  1. rainwater,
  2. wind, and...
  3. idiots who tramp through a woodlot carrying bundles of the fungus!!!
So, I dropped what I had in a pile on a future trail, marked it with orange flagging and walked away. Hopefully I've done more good than harm. To top it off, I started looking up into the forest canopy instead of along the forest floor, and noticed that every mature black cherry tree was doomed. I was surrounded by death.

I've decided to start clearing what dead wood and saplings I can on the planned trails for access in the autumn start of cutting and burning.

The trails...the trails....

No comments:

Post a Comment