Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Operation Cherry Bomb

A cherry tree infected with black knot.

I've decided to call my all-out assault on the black knot fungus 'Operation Cherry Bomb' (after a movie script by my buddy, James).

Armed with only my pruning saw, hard hat, and water jug (and a layer of bug spray), I began Operation Cherry Bomb in Deerwood.

Here I use the pruning saw to cut off an infected black cherry branch.
The pruning saw is really amazing - and, um, sharp too.

After four hours of tramping through the bush with saw and bundles of black knot branches, I made a fire and watched them buuuuurrrrrrnnnnnnn.

Black knot infected cherry branches are burnt to stop its spread.

And another pile is set and buuuuuuurrrrrrrnnnnnnnneeeeeed.

And just when I started to taunt the black knot, saying things like, 'I encompass your doom!', and 'I am that thing you fear in the night!', and 'there's nothing you can do to stop meeeee!' I cut my finger and thumb while sawing and taunting. And so, I stopped.

The pruning saw cuts both ways. Just a flesh wound, nothing serious.

2 comments:

  1. Those pruning saws and bow saws are deadly, Billy. Make sure you count all your fingers before you leave the job site!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yaup.

    It's the small branch cuts that are the most difficult I find. I have to hold the branch so close to the cut in order to reduce vibration for the pruning saw.

    It's amazing to me how big a diameter that pruning saw will cut.

    Took the bandages off this evening. Not a pretty sight.

    B

    ReplyDelete