Saturday, May 16, 2009

Low-Impact Trail Clearing


Yesterday afternoon I started to clear the deadwood, some rocks and saplings along a planned trail. This trail leads to the infected cherry trees that need to be fallen and burnt to destroy the black knot fungus.

The black flies are increasing now and almost need bug gear. But I just put on some bug spray and dived into Deerwood with my handy-dandy forest ranger utility belt.


My utility belt includes...
  • water can
  • multi-tool (Leatherman Wave)
  • 240mm pruning saw
I can think of a few more items off the top of my head to include: bug spray, first aid kit, orienteering compass, forest map, 2 grocery bags (for feet in case of a soaker), toilet paper (in case there's no leaves available...). 'Soaker' means accidentally stepping in water and soaking your feet.

The water can weighs the belt down quite a bit. Eventually, I think I might get some webbing (belt with shoulder suspenders) like army troopers wear. With all this gear on a belt I can carry the forester's best tool, the Pulaski axe.

No comments:

Post a Comment