Wednesday, May 6, 2009

FMO Top

The forest management office (FMO) at Deerwood got its roof structure mostly up today. It's the first time I've build a rafter style gable roof - usually a truss guy. Thanks to David baby's advice, I went ahead and did it. There's a special nervous sweat the gods reserve for nailing the end rafters on with solid granite below.

First the ceiling joists, then the roof's ridge board is set.


Then the small matter of sawing 36 cuts for the rafter boards...


...and not cutting my fingers off.


Then it's time to put the rafters up
(notice the temporary diagonal braces).


Looking down the ridge board where the rafters meet.
Think I'll add another ridge board under the first one later.


At last, a tarp wrapper on top.

2 comments:

  1. B, Most impressive. Doing that solo is more than challenging I am sure. After being Mr. G's assistant on those roof jobs at the shack, I know that it's a tough job, but hoisting those up there by yourself is a feat. Take a bow B! How many windows are you installing? I heard you bought some in BF. The blackflies just started at the shack too...bastards! Any bear sitings?
    K

    ReplyDelete
  2. My hanky is in full twirling bow, K.

    You assisted Mr. G on the roofs?! I thought he did it alone.... I must have been mad!

    Bear? Yaup.

    ReplyDelete