Friday, June 12, 2009

Skiddin'

Yesterday I bought some chain, a cleat, hook and did my first log skidding operation.

Thought I'd first try to solve the old Pine Logs Issue by hauling away some of the logs dumped on Deerwood. The piled logs still threaten to seriously hurt someone and it preys on my mind.

My first skid log is chained and ready to slide.

And it worked! I was able to drag it to the mill site.


Though, the 40 grade 3/8" chain didn't like being dragged under the log for a quarter mile of pavement.


I could have bought some tougher 70 grade chain at double the price, but thought the 40 might do. All in all, I don't think any chain does well when ground into pavement. Better that I stick to gravel or dirt trails for dragging chain. I cut the damaged chain links off and started again. That chain was too long anyway.

Thought I could help solve mom's high gravel/dirt mound problems on the Deerwood road by dragging logs down the centre.


This really did help to smooth out the high middle of the road in a bunch of places. Bonus!

Next, I tried to skid a log over a bumpy forest trail using an old plastic barrel cut in half with the skid chain through a hole in the centre.


The rounded barrel ends did work to get the log over bumps instead of getting the end stuck. This is the way to go, baby. Dragging logs down the new forest trails helps to clear away vegetation to better establish the trail path. Though, it's probably best that I don't use this barrel 'cone' apparatus on gravel as it would destroy it pretty quickly.

Finally, I chained four logs and saplings together for a skid try and it worked too!


Below is a photo of a small toad at the mill site. I almost stepped on it. They're hard to see on the forest floor with a toad's natural colouring. Glad it didn't end up like the chipmunk.

A small toad rests on the sawmill's blade guard.

2 comments:

  1. Nice technique with the barrel-end, Billy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you!

    I got the idea from an old-timer's web post somewheres. Cut a barrel in half and I've got two. It's so trouble free - so far - I hardly need to look back to check on things.

    Just drive.

    ReplyDelete