Thursday, July 9, 2009

Deerwood: MFTIP Approved!

Eight months of effort have finally paid off!

My application to register Deerwood as a managed forest under the Ontario government's Managed Forest Tax Incentive Program (MFTIP) has been accepted. The Ontario Woodlot Association approved the plan. Many thanks to our forestry consultant, Ken Webb, for his expert guidance.

In exchange for improving the health of the woodlot through an improvement cut of the forest, the woodlot owner will receive up to a 75% reduction in property taxes. My forest management plan will be eligible for renewal in ten years time.

In essence, Deerwood is now a privately owned conservation area.

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations Bobo! Does it pay?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Coach!

    Well, I get room and board for my troubles. Oh, and all the selection cut hard and softwood I can mill. So, I figure it's a pretty good deal.

    I'm still working on clearing the 'forest litter' of fallen branches and saplings from the kilometres of forest trail I marked in April/May. I'll bring the machines in on Sept. 1 to fully open up the trails for travel inside the forest. Making trails is one of the first things to do in a woodlot for access. If I get all of the trails cleared in 2009 I'll be happy.

    Still, it's a lot of work....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations Bill, that is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats Bill! Amazing news!
    K

    ReplyDelete