Monday, July 6, 2009

Kit Guns & Samurai Swords

I started to think about my close encounter with the female bear and her cubs the other day. That was a dangerous situation I was lucky to get out of. And if the big bear decided I was enough of a threat to her cubs, it wouldn't be the first time a bear attacked a human to defend her young.

This bear and her unpredictable cubs are here now and I have to deal with this daily reality.

Mentioning to Ma Pocock that the time may have come to "get a gun" just in case, she replied that it was illegal to shoot bears out of season. And live trapping a mother bear is out because the cubs wouldn't likely survive.

"I'm not gonna worry about the legality of shooting a bear when it's coming right at me", said I.

Even one of mom's quilting buddies carries a sidearm into the bush with her - just in case. You don't want to be in the bush wishing, gosh, if only I had something to defend myself right now....

The Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources (MNR) recommends people in bear country like me should carry a long axe with them in the bush. First of all, a long axe is a big and awkward item to carry everywhere. Second, you've got one chance at best of hitting an attacking bear (on the head, I guess) with a heavy axe. And you better kill it with that one blow, but more likely piss it off even more.

And rifles are awkward to carry and not as good as pistols at close range (charging bear) with sighting problems in dense bush foliage.

So, I figure, if I'd pack a gun it would be a holstered pistol. Remember kids, revolvers are more reliable than clip fed. I even picked up some RCMP pamphlets on courses and such. Of course, if I was in the USA, I'd probably be able to pick one up right away at the country store....

Anyhoo, I thumbed through a back copy of my trusty 'Backwoodsman' magazine and found a nifty article on kit guns.

The pipe included in this photo is a nice touch.
(photo and text: 'The Backwoodsman' March/April 2009)


Here's a short passage from The Backwoodsman on kit guns:
For pot shooting, running a trap-line, plinking, and even self-defense while hiking, the sadly discontinued S&W Kit Guns have achieved a cult-like status....
But then, I'm not too sure I can trust myself not to shoot human trespassers on sight. So, having a pistol at the ready, is maybe not the best thing.

I remember a report of a rogue bear attack on a boater on Vancouver Island last year. Good Samaritans were stabbing away at the bear mauling the guy to no avail. Then some old sea dog plunged a 12 inch blade into the bear and killed it.

So, I think I'm gonna settle on the short, single edge sword I've got as a forest 'attitude adjuster'. Guess those years of sword fighting instruction may have some practical use after all! A sword can stab and slash quickly. Mine is a good close quarters Japanese-style sword with a one or two hand pummel. After I pick up some army surplus webbing, I'll holster the scabbord on my back as it reaches from waist to head behind the spine so it won't be awkward, or catch branches, and be a swift draw against trouble.

And with some handy-dandy hockey tape wrapping on the handle, I'll have a more frictional grip in case it gets covered in slippery blood.

Now, back to our regular programming....

No comments:

Post a Comment