Monday, July 20, 2009

Rogue Bear?

I witnessed the three year old bear (?) this evening eating out of one of Ma Pocock's deer feed troughs (40 ft. from the house). I came out onto the deck and shouted at it with arms in the air and it stood its ground and started huffing at me (wanted me to back off). Ma manages to chase the bear off by banging pots together.

Two minutes later, the bear comes back and won't be driven off. The deer feed is inside, but the bear just lurks outside the house. I don't think it's afraid of me.

I cannot be afraid of the bear. If it attacks me, I will kill it.

Here's an informative article about Living With Bears.

Now I read this article - with great interest - as I'm about to visit the Forest Management Office in pitch dark.

Ma Pocock says, "Better take your sword", like wear mittens in the cold.

3 comments:

  1. How about a half dozen Jack Russell terriers? The bears will soon tire of having to fend off a pack of these crazed little fighters.

    Of course you lose the odd one, or more, which is why you keep six around. Also remember to stick flourescent jackets on them, so they don't get shot as vermin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, yes...the Jack Russell security perimeter fantasy....

    And we're all connected with mic/headsets.

    And I'm screaming "Kill!! KIIIIIILLLLLLLL!!!!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course if I ever came face to face with a bear I'd simply cry like a little girl.

    Maybe the bear would feel sorry for me then, and leave me alone.

    ReplyDelete