Friday, July 10, 2009

Kerosene Light

Now and then I'll be in Deerwood's forest management office at night and I need a light to read by. I've tried to be the good 'ol environmentalist and do the LED wind-up flashlights and lanterns, but the near constant winding is all-consuming. Until there's a wind-generation, or solar set up, I'm trying out the old standby - the kerosene hurricane lamp.

From the wiki on kerosene, I discovered that it's still used extensively in Japan and in the Amish community.

Even though my triple filtered kerosene oil is 'clean burning', I always leave a window at the top of the office cracked open to reduce the build up of carbon monoxide. Getting sleepy....

Ma Pocock says that great granny's old farm remedy for colds was a spoonful of brown sugar mixed with kerosene. Yes, you had to swallow kerosene, kids.

Maybe I should try that. What do those doctors know anyway?!

No comments:

Post a Comment