Friday, August 7, 2009

Cargo Sleds

Visions of cargo sleds have danced through my head of late.

Like a good little logger, I want to use the snow to help me haul wood out of the forest for fuel and timber use. I could cut, spilt, and stack the fuelwood in the forest during autumn in piles beside the main trails. Then, in winter, I could sled the wood piles to the fuelwood sheds for storage.

From what I've seen, there's two main types of cargo sleds.

The 'tub' style cargo sled.


The 'ski' style cargo sled.

For hand pulling, I'm more inclined to go with the tub style sled. The ski style looks like less friction, but more difficult to fabricate.

There's some ribbed sheet metal laying around I'm gonna think through for sled material in a bit. If I could build some removable sides, I might even be able to haul milling logs out of the woods too.

I never know until I try.

No comments:

Post a Comment