Sunday, August 16, 2009

Shake Up

I decided to go ahead and take the tarp off the FMO around noon yesterday. Algae was beginning to form in some water pools.
It's time to put some cedar shakes up on that roof there.
And it only rained about four or five times. But it was a light
rain. Today's supposed to be better.

Managed to do five rows before daylight and the damn mosquitoes called me quits.

Was about to start the sixth and realized I was putting the tar paper
in wrong. With these things, I'm supposed to slide a half sheet of
tar paper over the top half of every row. I was just laying them in
behind them. Must've been the beer.... Am I gonna take the old ones
off and start over. NO WAY. But at least I'm improving. besides, these hand spilt shakes haven't been drawknife dressed and sit quite a bit up from the shake they've been nailed to below it. Believe me, there's plenty of room for them to dry out between rains.

Five rows is about all I can do from standing inside of the structure. Why from the inside? Well, as it's almost an 18/12 pitch roof, it's too steep to stand on, and either side of the forest office is a steep rock drop off that makes ladder or scaffolding work very difficult. Now
I've gotta nail a 2x4 about 1/3 the way up the other rafter side and
stand on it and lean over the ridge to work. This will take slow
going as I have to hand pick each shake to fit into the next spot.
And I thought crouching down under the low rafters was bad before.
Gonna have to come up with some kinda efficient system or it'll take
me weeks and rain is on the way. I think I may have an idea....

I've tried standing on that 2x4 to test it and it isn't the safest
thing I've ever done. I was actually pricing roofing safety harnesses
today. Comes out to $300. Too much for now. One day, unless I'm
dead by then.

Sorry to say that there won't be photos for some time as both my cameras have died from
impacts. And all my money is going into building materials right now.

Oh, and I'm going for the rustic, uneven rows look. I'd forgotten my chalk line at my day-job construction site, so bought a new one. Was going to shift the shakes up and down a bit along the new row chalk line. Then it dawned on me that instead of trying to mimic a no-chalk-line look with a chalk line, just don't use a chalk line.

It takes me a while sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment