Sunday, August 9, 2009

Cedar Shakes!

Yesterday I did the long haul down to Hamilton and picked up the cedar shakes for the FMO roof.

I really did make an effort to use some local pine to make shakes of my own, but decided on cedar instead because...
  • Pine shakes need to be treated with preservative to have a fighting chance against sun damage. As I want to test a rainwater storage system on the office roof, I don't want wood preservatives added to possible drinking water.
  • The pine trunks I tried to split either didn't split straight, or were to knotty and wouldn't split at all.
  • I couldn't skid the large pine logs to an area where I could work on them.
  • A shingle froe would cost me $100 used probably once. I'd also have to purchase a draw knife and build a special work bench.
  • The FMO tarp is leaking from the near constant rain now and I want to close the roof ASAP. Spliting pine shakes for roofing takes a loooooong time.
  • Buying cedar shakes is EASIER!!!!!
So, while the rain comes down, I'll pre-nail the shakes inside the leaky office in preparation for the hand nailing...when it stops raining.

No comments:

Post a Comment