Saturday, August 1, 2009

Wood Stove Blues

Guess I shouldn't wait too long between blog posts when reporting that Deerwood is practically crawling with bears.... It is amazing how quickly I've accepted that 'crawling with bears' thing and am willing to walk through the forest at night without a flashlight.

Even yodelling or whistling is often too much of a chore now as I embrace my ultimate fate of going mono e mono with a bear. Having a loud whistle and sharp sword strapped to my back is a comfort, though. My only hope is that I'll be able to blog the tale and thus secure my glory!

Anyhoo, my current struggles are with Deerwood forest management office (FMO) wood stove installation. After half-carrying my Drolet Compak stove to the FMO, I laid out some flat granite on a sand bed and mortared them together a few days ago. This stone pad for the stove stand on. Then it was off to Home Hardware to drop another wad of cash for the chimney parts. See the diagram below for the installation diagram...


Installing a cathedral ceiling wood stove chimney.
Not as fun as it looks.

Complying with the building code requirements is a juggling act as I try to keep the internal stove pipe away from combustible surfaces. At one mad moment last night I considered covering the entire north wall with 29 guage galvanized sheet metal. The challenges of actually cutting the metal to size and mounting it pulled me back from the edge, though.

As much as I'd like to get the chimney install done and over with, I realize that the tarp over the roof must go. If that's the case, I need to strap the roof with purlins and nail up the cedar shakes just before the chimney inspection in order to reduce the amount of time that the roof is open to the rainy elements. Submit building permit for wood stove, almost finish roof, assemble and install the chimney, get inspected, finish roof. Oh, and because the roof is a steep 18/12 pitch, I have to make my own chimney flashing from sheet metal stock so the roof doesn't leak. Now I'm researching MIG sheet metal welding techniques....

So, next step is getting the cedar shakes up from north Hamilton (Pacific Cedar) on ma's next run down south. That means the FMO will be choked with chimney parts all over the place for the next few months. Hope the holey FMO roof tarp doesn't drip too much between now and then.

No comments:

Post a Comment