Tuesday, April 14, 2009

The Pine Logs Issue 1

In my forestry management practice, I'm occasionally called upon to deal with neighbour issues as my client's agent.

Today I visited the northwest corner boundary of The Deerwood Estate - an isolated section of land to check up on 'the pine logs issue' and plan for future maintanence of the area.

Background: The owner of a cozy undeveloped lot beside The Deerwood Estate has cleared a section of trees and earth with the intention (I assume) of building a cottage or house. I also assume, as township documents show the owner resident of a large southern Ontario city, that the land clearing work was done by a contractor. I first noticed a large pile of wide diameter pine tree logs on Deerwood Estate property during a visit in the Autumn of 2008.

I discovered The Pine Logs Issue on September 29, 2008.

The pine logs are still there on April 14th, 2009.

View of logs looking onto Deerwood property on April 14, 2009.

Now look at a photograph from inside Deerwood. Notice the small Deerwood tree being bent backward by the awkward pile of logs threatening to both destroy the tree and other trees beyond it. This small tree is the only thing stopping the logs from rolling out of control.

View of logs from within Deerwood property on April 14, 2009.

Make no mistake - this is a serious issue.

Children live nearby, I've spoken to them walking in the area. Imagine the temptation of such a pile of logs. I'd say odds are pretty good that some children climb on top this dangerous pile of the logs. Just one of those logs could crush and kill.

I assume that whoever was overseeing the neighbour's construction 'just didn't think' about the consequences of leaving a dangerous pile of logs on someone else's property for over six months near a residential area and snowmobile trail.

My next step is to contact the owner (with the mailing information the township has provided) and inform him of an issue of which he may not even be aware. I will not work in this area until the issue is resolved.

I'll keep you posted on the developments, folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment