Wednesday, April 22, 2009

The Pine Logs Issue 3: Wet & Weary

8 am I cleared, split, and stacked the garden bed maple (cut on the 15th) in the Deerwood woodshed.

Then I sawed at the pine log issues until 1 pm to help stabilize the load.


Feeling lucky, punk?

On the 15th I went out and staked some orange flagging around the load to alert passersby of the hazard.

Before.

After.

I got the new Stihl MS 260 chainsaw back from the shop and worked it today. As I a gave a pull on the old cant hook to roll off a cut section, three logs shifted under my feet.

Then the load shifted on me.

For a moment there, I didn't know what was gonna happen next. There's no doubt this is dangerous work - and I know my chainsaw limitations. Maybe it's just plain unsafe. I think the rest of the logs will have to be winched down from the pile, then up from the downslope and onto the trail. If only I had a winch....

Whipped.

No comments:

Post a Comment