Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Saving Private Chainsaw Bar

I tossed and turned all night - how will I drop that tree?

Fit a new bar and chain to the chainsaw motor to free the stuck one?

Or, sharpen the axe and do it old school, hardcore lumberjack style.

My macho gave me no choice.

Axe, baby.


On the last chop the top tree suddenly shifted sideways
on the bar. Things happen so fast. That's why there's so
many accidents in lumberjacking. All I could do now
was give it a good push, get back, and hope for the best.
Time almost stands still as you look up, watching as the
tree decide which way it's gonna go. I like it.

One of the complications in axe felling is that with every swing, you shake the small or mid-size tree during the critical, final cuts. This potentially destabilizes the balance of tree above the cut and makes directing the fall not as simple and predictable as using the smooth chainsaw machine.

I got lucky again. The top of tree shifted off and got
held up by surrounding tree branches. The bottom
of the cut tree missed the bar on the drop and didn't
crush it. As the bar and chain was free, I could use
the engine again. Real lucky.

It's easy to get exhausted fast with the axe. The key is to take it nice and easy until your body is conditioned to this type of task. Let the axe head do the work. Pull it out of the trunk with the top hand near the axe head. Then slide it to the bottom hand at the end of the handle on the forward swing in. Alternate 45 degree angle cuts above and below in order to chip off chunks of wood. At least that's what I figure from watching those TV lumberjack competitions.


Boy howdy! There's the long stump (above) and the dropped upper tree with branches held up by surrounding trees. The tree is about fifty feet tall.

With chainsaw reassembled, I began and finished the difficult task of dropping the rest of the tree to the ground in 3 to 4 foot sections. Dangerous. It happens all the time in this dense 'core' forest. That will make a suspense filled video clip sometime.

I swear, I should host a kid's show on the interesting and dangerous things I do in the forest every day. I think young kids would like it in the same way those construction site videos enthrall them. Lumberjack Bill.

13 comments:

  1. Seems to me a come-along on the bottom of the tree, with perhaps a rope a little higher up preventing the tree from going some direction you want to avoid is easier and safer than taking 3-4 foot cuts from a precariously balanced tree.

    Just sayin'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm...come-along.

    I've got a come-along. Found it to be a lot of work to set up and disappointing results. Actually no results for this kind of situation.

    There's tremendous weight bearing under the cut tree, so much so that it's sunk into the soft earth and would take hydrolic equipment or big power winch to move. A hand crank come-along will not budge it. I thought it might too until I tried it.

    Attaching a rope higher up? That sounds like arborist talk to me, Anon. Hell, next thing you know I'll be having some standing by with 911 on speed dial just in case I get trapped under a falling tree, or mangled by the chainsaw.

    I might as well slip on my Peter Pan Getaway Bunny Slippers and stay inside my climate-controlled pod answering headset customer service calls on how to hook up toasters.

    All I ask out of life is to wake up every morning, bid adieu to the forest nymphs, shave my head, and go out there to do the most dangerous thing I can so that every waking moment is estatic. For only when I walk with Death do I know the rapture of Life.

    Any more suggestions, punk?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw stuck in a tree is ALWAYS a nightmare. It's the worst feeling in the world when you expect that tree to fall away from you, and instead it decides to settle back on to your blade. Getting it unstuck is ALWAYS dangerous, as now it can fall anywhere in a 360 degree arc.
    NIGHTMARE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, it worked for me at the cottage, and the procedure seemed to invoke a certain amount of fear nonetheless. Prolly not enough for a crazy bastard like you though :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sure come-alongs work. No doubt about it. Just bustin' ya, anon. That's why I keep tryin' with mine. Dis waddn't one a toes.

    I can actually convince myself that drop it against lean, Rob. I do it just enough to kid myself that such is my prowess.

    Don't take the magic tricks away from me, Rob. They're all I've got.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Crazy Bastard. I like the way it rolls off the tongue...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd prefer Super Genius, but I'll take what I can get.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like you answered 11 minutes later on the 11th day of the 11th month. An act of rememberance, if you like.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Given enough ropes, trucks and liquor, I'm pretty sure you guys could resolve the tree-falling issues. Without admitting any liability over here.

    ReplyDelete
  11. But the main question will still be: did it make a sound?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was there and it didn't make a sound, actually.

    And as a Zen monk, I'd be the guy to ask, right?

    The soft black earth absorbed the cut end of the tree as the others held it aloft.

    So the answer is...depends.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You're a zen monk now? How are the exams for that...? kinda curious. That was my intended vocation at age 17, but other stuff happened of course.

    ReplyDelete